Monday, September 16, 2013

Today's adventure

Today's classes were Art and Political Economy and they were each an hour and a half long. In Art, we actually drew something for the first time. We had to draw three simple things out of our bag...but I just used the kids stuff next to me, which was an apple, mini lunch box and water bottle. The catch: we couldn't look at our paper. And we only had 3 minutes. If you know me, you know I'm not very artistic. I've never taken an actual art class in my life, so this experience was new, and very dreaded. My drawings resembled the objects but looked pretty funny! A kid sitting next to me looked at my paper and laughed, but then again, I was laughing too. Then we were finally allowed to look and we had 20 mins to draw....and I used about 10. I successfully drew the three objects and I felt pretty accomplished until one of my friends goes "ugh Sarah! You're supposed to make it look 3d and make shadows!" Well you can imagine my reaction, I just looked at him and went "hey! I have never taken an art class in my life and truthfully I don't even wanna be in this one! So this is my best effort." To which he took my pencil and taught me how to "draw correctly." Which just made my drawing better and I didn't have to do anything, so I was fine with it! 
Then came Political Economy, which is already my favorite class. The teacher just found out I was not only in his class, but that I'm an American. We talked about American politics during the short break, and one of my friends went "well all I know is Obama is good and everyone else is bad!" You can imagine my reaction again (this was also the same friend that commented on my drawing...he tends to speak without thinking). That led to a very worked up me talking about not only American politics, but also how people, especially some Americans, don't bother learning more about candidates besides the overall appearance. The teacher then asked me to give a presentation about American political parties, which I'm actually excited about!
After school came tutoring. I'm being tutored with another exchange student, a Brazilian named Paolo, who is my friend but also only knows a little English and German. I had directions how to get to the Experiment office (where I'm being tutored) but they didn't work out that well...I had to go under the train tracks, but couldn't find where the entrance was. So I went into the train station, the info lady sent me across the street to the bus office, I asked a worker who didn't speak English but I got a map and she actually took me to the tunnel going under the train tracks. After I left the tunnel, I found the right street but went the wrong way....and ended up at the hotel my family and I stayed at. So knowing they spoke English, I went in there and asked for directions. They sent me back the way I came, and I zoned out while walking (really not a good thing to do when you're actually looking for something) so I missed the street I was supposed to turn on to. I went back under the tracks (at a different place) and ended up on the wrong side of the tracks....both literally and metaphorically. I quickly found a bank cause I really didn't like all the looks I was getting, and they told me to retrace my steps once again.  So I went back under the tracks...and found the street and office easily. I left my house at 2:30 (my host family told me too cause they knew I'd get lost) and made it to the office at 3:05. Walking back took about 1/4 of the time, but hey lesson learned and I learned where not to go in Bonn (when I told my host dad I ended up on the other side of the tracks, his eyes got wide and said oh really?). 
Then after getting off the cable car (which stops almost in front of my house), I was so zoned out again I walked right past my house, and didn't realize it until I was halfway down the street. I finally got home, and started to make myself coffee when the grandma reminded me I was supposed to go to the bank to open up an account at 5. It was 5:05. Thankfully the bank is right across the street so I ran down there and opened one up. After that I came back and made coffee....and used all the milk. So then I went to the Rewe (grocery store) to buy milk. I tried convincing my little sister, Emmi, to come with me but she was very happily sitting on my bed drawing so she wasn't persuaded to come. 
So my day was eventful and exhausting, but I got a lot accomplished and overall it was a very good day! 
My map of where to go. The black was the route I was supposed to take (it's a lot more confusing than it looks) and the red is where I went. Just ignore the red x...I thought I went down that street but turns out I didn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment