Monday, September 2, 2013

My host family, Sylt and school.

On Friday night, Bettina picked me up at the hostel. I had seen her when my friends and I were getting off the bus, but we were already later for another "organized activity" so it wasn't really much of a conversation. When we got to the hostel, the leaders made us sing because apparently singing would humiliate us enough to not be late (it didn't work obviously). After another hour of little groups talking about our feelings (which just made me actually nervous), we all took pictures then it was time for me to leave. I was the first one out of my friends to leave, and nobody was very happy about it. They all helped me get my suitcases and while we were waiting for the elevator, Haley pretended to shoo Bettina away and of course Bettina saw, but thankfully she realized Haley was joking (even though she was only half joking). They all hugged me bye, and it was actually sad. I had been with that group since August 14 and we had figured out German cities, buses and the rest of German life together. However, there's another seminar in 8 weeks but its split between North and South...and Bonn's right in the middle so I will end up going to the one with less people. Anyways, Bettina and Joe have already said any of my friends are welcome anytime, and I think they're going to get all the Americans together for Thanksgiving! 
Now I'm on the island of Sylt, and it's freezing and windy but beautiful. It reminds me a little of Canada, where there's more rugged beaches or points out into the ocean cause it has the same rose bushes and climate those do. This is the first time I've really been homesick, and I think the main reason is cause it reminds me of Canada. Obviously I miss my family and cat, I miss them everyday, but really missing my home and everything about it is different. However, I'll get over it. I try to put it into a better perspective by thinking about it like boarding school. I survived 4 years at Saint James, and granted I had my brother for the last two, and my parents visited a lot but still. I got homesick, and now I just have to go a little longer without seeing my family, friends or cat but that will all be okay in the long run cause its already turning out to be a great experience. 
Most of my friends here started school today. Orianna goes to a private school, and half of the school is in the Netherlands, half is in Germany. She said it was so confusing, she didn't understand anything but she already has friends. Graham, on the other hand, goes to public school. He didn't understand anything either, and when I asked him how it was, he said scary. He also said he thinks he has friends, but he's not sure. I don't even know when I start school, but hopefully it's not anytime soon. When I think about making friends all over again, it's exhausting and I really don't want to be stared at. One thing I am excited for, however, is French class. I'll actually be able to understand!
Anyways, living with a 3 year old is certainly different but I like it. Emmi is so cute, and when I was unpacking she was laying on my bed, asking me questions about all my pictures, and who was who. Having a little sister will take some getting used to, especially being woken up at 8:30, but it'll make this year much more fun! She made me a welcome sign which is hanging up on my door, and the picture is below. 
One last thing! For orientation, the leaders took us all to a beer garden, since its typical German.  Haley and I ordered lemonade since we were sick, but when it came, it wasn't lemonade. It was sparkling water with some kind of syrup in it, so it tasted pretty nasty. However, a Brazilian named Alex had ordered beer, and didn't like that and liked our lemonade so we switched with him! All the Thai people ordered beer too....but they actually got drunk. When we were walking home, the leaders got lost so we had to use my iphone to find our way back to the youth hostel and when we were walking this tiny Thai girl just did a faceplant into a garden by the sidewalk. I know it's not supposed to be funny, but when someone just suddenly faceplants cause they're so drunk (off of one beer) and they're this tiny Thai girl.....it's pretty funny. Then this Thai guy turned to me and Orianna and told us to watch Graham and Ball (another Thai), even though they were fine. I told him they weren't drunk and he goes no they are! Even though they were walking fine, and they weren't at all. Orianna and I just walked in the back and laughed at everything that was happening. It was like a scene from a bad movie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment