Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sundays, School, Sylt and Toll house pie

I'm back in Bonn from Sylt, and I'm finally all unpacked! It took most of the morning, but everything is organized and has a place, even though that'll last for probably 2 days. Sundays in Germany are different than in states. It's not more religious or anything, all the stores are closed and it's meant to be a quiet day. I woke up this morning and didn't hear any cars or buses (well they're not buses but similar and run on tracks, I just forget the name) which was a change since I live in the middle of a city, and right next to a bus stop! Today were making brown sugar BBQ chicken and toll house pie out of my church's cookbook, and I'm also meeting two other girls who live in the same building as me and go to the same school. However, Sundays have always been lazy days for me. At school, Becca and I would do the rest of our homework, then watch tv or read and eat candy throughout the day then occasionally go to panera or chipotle. I miss that but I like the concept of Sundays in Germany too. 
Yesterday we came back from Sylt, and went to a reception for a baptism. I met tons of people, and understood a good amount of the conversation and whenever someone found out I don't speak German, but I'm going to a German high school, they all looked surprised and apparently told Bettina it's very brave of me to do that! They also remarked on how well Emmi and I got along (they seemed almost surprised again).
I start school tomorrow and I honestly don't know what to think. Sometimes I'm excited, then I get really nervous about making new friends, then I get more nervous about not knowing the language and the teachers yelling at me...and then I realize I'm wasting my time being that anxious and it'll all work out if I just smile and be friendly and open from the start (which is not one of my strong points, so that'll be another challenge). I woke up to a text from Ian today saying good luck at school today! I guess he forgot today was Sunday, but it's the thought that counts. 
Here's pictures of Sylt
And here's some of my room! 
My ceiling is probably my favorite part about my room! 
And of the bus stop right outside my window...I used to think mooing cows were annoying but now I miss them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment